Keeta Arnold Memorial Horticulture Scholarship
Sponsored by the Garden Club of Rogers
Now accepting applications online — see below
DEADLINE JANUARY 1
Scholarship Guidelines and Objectives
The purpose of scholarships is to offer financial aid to students and encourage the study of Horticulture related subjects. (See list below)
The GCR scholarship fund is set up to honor the memory of long time garden club member, mentor, counselor, teacher, and gardener, Keeta Arnold.
Once selected applicant MAY be forwarded to AFGC Scholarship Committee yearly for consideration of a State scholarship.
Details of the Award
- Scholarships are awarded yearly with numbers and amounts depending on funds available. Approximately one (1) college scholarship is available annually, in the amount of $1,500. The number of scholarships and their amount for each academic year will be determined after September.
- Scholarships are available to undergraduate juniors, seniors, and graduate students pursuing a Master’s Degree.
- Sophomores may make application for their junior year.
- College/university must be accredited and listed on the official website of the U.S. Department of Education http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident of the United States.
- Must be a legal resident of the State of Arkansas
- International or Foreign Exchange Students are not eligible.
- Doctoral program students are not eligible.
- Must be attending school full-time as defined by GCR:
1. Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 graded hours of classes.
2. Graduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 graded hours of classes.
- Study aboard on fellowships or internships are not eligible; funds may be applied to studies overseas provided that the study is a condition of the recipient’s degree plan and that payment continues to be made to the accredited U.S. College or university.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Must be majoring in one of the following fields of study:
- All applications received by the GCR Scholarship Chairman will be judged by that chairman and committee in order to choose a winning application.
- The following Sample Scale of Points may be used for the evaluation of each application:
|Listing of Honors/Extracurricular Activities/Work Experience||13%|
- Applications are evaluated and winners chosen by the GCR Scholarship Committee, which consists of the GCR Scholarship Chairman and 2 other committee members, chosen by the chairman. Final judging takes place in January. Winners are announced at the GCR January Board meeting. The GCR Scholarship Chairman will notify all applicants in writing of the committee’s decisions immediately following the judging.
Description of Funds
- Checks for the winning applicant’s scholarship will be mailed by June 1st from GCR to the Financial Aid Office of the institution at which the student is enrolled. No funds will be sent directly to the student.
- All funds will be distributed by the Financial Aid Office according to the particular school’s term-system, unless the student has only one term remaining before the completion of the degree.
- In the event of a change in a student’s major to one other than those listed above, or if the student withdraws from school, the balance of the funds must be returned to GCR.
- The student and Financial Aid Officer will determine how the money is to be spent: tuition, food, housing, books, etc.
Application Procedure: Online or by mail
- The following documents must be submitted either online (see below) or Mail to: GCR Scholarship Chairman: c/o Sherrie Eoff, 15211 Markey Lane, Garfield, AR 72732-9288
- GCR Scholarship Application Form (Print and mail, or upload from the application below)
- Financial Aid Form (Print and mail, or upload from the application below)
- Complete official academic transcripts (Upload from the application below)
- Letter from applicant, with emphasis on all horticulture related activities/clubs, regardless of time frame. Set fonts, header, and margins for one (1) page-Front Side only (Upload from the application below)
- List of extracurricular activities, honors, recognitions received within the last three years. (Upload from the application below)
- Three letters of recommendation. (Upload from the application below)
- Completed Checklist. (Print and mail or, upload from the application below)
- Application must be submitted online or mailed to the GCR Scholarship Chairman. Deadline: January 1st.
- All the documents must be uploaded along with the online application or mailed by the applicant in one large envelope. Do not place the documents in page protector, in any sort of permanent binder, or staple the pages. (NO STAPLES)
- When a student reapplies for a scholarship (whether the applicant is or is not a previous winner), a complete new and updated application must be submitted.
Instructions for Filling out Application
*All forms will preferably be typed or computer generated. (Front Side only-do not staple)
*Set fonts and margins, in order to comply with page limits
Apply online or download form below
|*GCR Application Form must be used
*All fields completed
|Financial Aid Form
Upload form below or mail
|*Must be complete with all questions answered
*Signed by student and Financial Aid Officer
*If Financial Aid information is not available before application deadline, information from the previous academic year may be used with the notation that it is an estimate based on the previous year.
Upload transcripts online or mail
|*Official academic transcripts
*Transcripts must include the latest grading period.
*Graduate students must include undergraduate transcripts
Upload letter online or mail
|Limit 1 page||*Discuss background, future goals, financial need, future career goals
*with emphasis on all horticulture related activities/clubs, regardless of time frame.
|List of Activities
Upload list online or mail
|Limit 2 pages||*List to include only items from the last 3 years
*Students returning to school after absence can list work experience and activities
|Letters of Recommendation
Upload letters online or mail
|Limit 3 letters
Limit 1 page each
|*Discuss scholastic ability, personal character, work-related experience|