- Finish cleanup—gather leaves for the compost pile or for winter mulch on beds.
- Don’t miss your last chance to plant spring-blooming bulbs, such as daffodils and tulips.
- Continue to thin lettuce and spinach.
- Mulch crops you want to overwinter with a thick layer of straw.
- Harvest frost-sweetened Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, cabbage, and kale.
- Don’t cut back ornamental grasses; they add beauty to the landscape and provide shelter for overwintering beneficials and wildlife.
- Cut back other perennials (except spring bloomers, roses, and mums) to a few inches above soil level.
Courtesy of www.rodalesorganiclife.com